- 5 ea Hot Dogs Ideally with a thick skin
- 5 ea Buns Sub wraps or whatever else you crazy kids are doing these days to avoid the almighty carbohydrate.
- 8 ea Strips of bacon May need more or less. Could use thick, but note that you'll probably lose more cheese while waiting for it to cook.
- 8 ea Slices of Sharp Cheddar You can sub – See notes
- 1 ea Onion Powder To taste
- 1 ea Garlic Powder To taste
- 1 ea Crispy Onion Tanglers Optional – See notes
- Gather your ingredients. Set your smoker for 400 degrees, indirect. I used some maple wood for this cook. You could use the oven for this recipe if you really wanted to.
- Slice the dogs being careful to not cut through the far side. Stuff with the cheese.
- Wrap dogs with bacon. Use toothpicks as necessary to hold bacon.
- Place the dogs on the grill with the cut side facing up. Sprinkle the tops with the onion and garlic powder. Let cook 20-30 minutes depending on your preference for bacon doneness. 😉
- Garnish the dog as you feel best fit. Enjoy!
- You can certainly substitute cheeses, but try to avoid those normally used for melting (American, Monterrey, etc) as they are more likely to leak out. Additionally, grated or shredded cheese works too, but I like the slices as you can compact more cheese into the dog.
- For a great topper, try my recipe for Crispy Onion Tanglers!