- 1 ea Sliced Onion I prefer a large sweet yellow onion. Sliced somewhat thinly.
- 1/2 lb Sauteed Mushrooms See notes for recipe.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil You may need more.
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar Optional.
- 1/2 tbsp Butter Optional.
- 2 cloves Garlic Optional. Pressed.
- 1 Splash Whiskey Add a second splash if you'd like.
- 3 Splashes Balsamic Vinegar You may end up wanting more.
- 1 ea Salt To taste.
- Add your olive oil and onions to a pot on the stove over low to medium low heat. Stir to coat the onions in the olive oil. Continue to stir occasionally.
- Once the onions are softened add the butter, salt, and maybe a splash of olive oil.
- Continue to cook and occasionally stir.
- Once the onions are near the point of browning, add the brown sugar and increase the heat a smidge. On my stove I never go above medium on the heat for this cook. Continue to occasionally stir.
- When the onions are nearing the end of their browning, add in the garlic. Stir and reduce the heat if necessary to ensure the garlic doesn't burn.
- Deglaze the pot with the splash or two of whiskey. Scrape any burnt goodness into the onions. Ensure the pot remains hot enough to burn off any alcohol.
- Add in the mushrooms and continue to occasionally stir. Keep an eye on the heat as to not cause any burning.
- Add in the balsamic to your liking. Continue to heat and reduce the mixture.
- Remove from heat when the taste and texture is to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy!
- I realize I say “optional” next to many of the ingredients. And it’s true…. they’re optional. But I’d highly suggest including them all.
- You could double the onion and remove the mushrooms if you aren’t in the mood for mushrooms.
- While this can certainly be served as it’s own side dish, it also makes for an amazing steak or burger topper.
- The balsamic can be reduced in a pan before being added if you want to ensure an extra thick and sticky texture.
- Substitute bacon for the mushrooms to make an awesome Bacon Jam!
- As a topper, this recipe makes enough for 2-3 people. As a side dish, figure 2 people at best.
- Click here for my Sautéed Mushrooms recipe.
- Click here for my Caramelized Onions recipe.