- 8 oz Beer I like to use at least 12oz and reduce it down
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 ea Egg
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Spicy Seasoning See notes
- If you're going to use a beer reduction (see notes), pour it into a sauce pan. High heat until it starts to bubble and then back down to a simmer. Let it reduce until you have about 8 oz.
- Beat the egg in a bowl
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir until well blended. I used two bowls here with the ingredients split as I wanted to create a spicy batch for myself and a non-spicy batch for my family. See my notes about that awesome pepper powder you see in the pic!
- Add the beer and egg to the bowls.
- Stir until you have a smooth, thick paste. Your batter is ready to go!
- You can use any kind of seasoning you want to give these curds a bit of an extra kick. Cajun seasoning, hot paprika, chili powder, etc. I used Apocalypse Powder from Eel River Pepper Company. If you like big heat with big flavor, you’ve got to look these guys up!
- If you’ve read my other recipes you know that I like a strong beer flavor when I use it for cooking. Reducing beer is the best way to achieve this. You don’t have to do it, but I’d strongly suggest doing so. Also, don’t use something too “light” or you won’t get much flavor no matter how much you reduce the beer.
- This beer batter recipe can be used an anything. Fish, Chicken, Oreos, etc. 😉